Monday, August 20, 2012

Action Adventure and Science

As and ardent action adventure fan, it still amazes me how so many authors can come up with and interweave cutting edge science into their intriguing stories. How the hero, or heroine is unwittingly thrust into a life or death struggle with those 'nasty villains' seeking to dominate and wreak havoc upon the world.

When I first conceived the story in my novel, Zero Point, I wanted to apply a science that was relevant to something I feel very strongly about. Energy, and our dependence on fossil fuels as a society along with our continued struggle to find alternative sources that are clean, efficient, and most of all affordable.

My research led me to the highly debated and controversial field of zero point energy; free energy from the vacuum of space time as it is called. Particles of electromagnetic energy that exist in the void between all matter. Okay...Fanciful thinking I thought at first, but the more I read into the subject matter the more intrigued I became.

A major source of information for my novel came from the research and writings of  Lt. Col. Thomas E. Beardon. Co-inventor of the Motionless Electromagnetic Generator. To refrain from spoilers in my novel I'll leave it go at that, but if you decide to read Zero Point, please know that aside from my not being a Nuclear Physicist, I endeavored to maintain the factual premise of the theory and keep from crossing that line between science and science-fiction.

So bravo to you authors out there that continue to thrill us with your marvelous blending of science, history, and 'edge of your seat' action and adventure; you story tellers that bravely ask the question, what if?

  

No comments:

Post a Comment